More than half of all Americans believe in the existence of spirits or paranormal activity despite the lack of scientific evidence proving their existence. For many people, it’s important to consider the possibility of life after death and to remain open to alternate realities. Even if we can’t explain something, it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.
One type of paranormal phenomena which has been investigated over the years is demonic possession. Cuneiform writings found on ancient Sumerian tablets included prayers for safety from demons. The Bible discusses “demon-possessed” people in the gospels of Luke, John, Matthew, Mark and in the Acts of the Apostles. The Catholic Church believes individuals become possessed in order to be tested. Possession often follows occult practices, mortal sin, loss of faith or psychological trauma. It’s also recognized in the medical community. In cases of dissociative personality disorder, a third of the afflicted refer to themselves as demons and paranormal beings.
Types of Hauntings
Paranormal happenings also include hauntings, which are recurring activities in a set location.
- Intelligent hauntings – are where thinking spirits interact and communicate with living humans.
- Residual hauntings – seem more like a movie or recording comprised of residual energy, where there is no conscious interaction but the spirits remain.
- Inhuman hauntings – are the most terrifying encounters because they’re typically attributed to demons, the paranormal and poltergeists.
Extrasensory perception, or ESP, is another broad category of paranormal phenomena. Psychic abilities rather than otherworldly paranormal supernatural spirits fall into this category. Clairvoyants can gain knowledge about people, places, and events they have not previously read or heard about. Clairvoyance also includes precognition, where psychics may receive detailed information about the future.
- Telepathy involves the transfer of information between people using their minds.
- Telekinesis is the ability to move objects with the power of the mind.
- “medium” have the ability to communicate with departed spirits.
- Astral projection or out-of-body travel is where the soul leaves the body and returns at will without causing death.